How Cortisol Produces so Much Damage
- It is so toxic it kills and injures brain cells by the billions through the free radical cascade.
- Cortisol is released same time as adrenaline but stays longer giving the hippocampus a toxic bath.
- It interferes with glucose supply (brain food for laying down memories and retrieving others.)
- Interferes with function of neurotransmitters. Vital for to keep your horse calm and attentive.
- Causes an influx of calcium which creates fee radicals leading to death of cells.
- Cortisol depletes vitamin C and E stored in the adrenal glands
- Triggers the release of neuro-petide Y causing the desire for carbohydrates. (an intersting fact for dieters)
- Adrenaline constricts blood vessels, raises blood sugar temporarily.
- Governs fat metabolism. (there is a correlation between stress and fat deposits around the midrif.
- Magnesium is excreted when cortisol levels rise. This will affect the horse's behaviour.
- It also has an antagonistic effect upon insulin production.
- It will cause vasoconstriction and inhibit the conversion of T4 to T3 for thyroid function.
- It shrinks and kills off hippocampus cells depleting emotional memory
There are a number of herbs and nutrients that can act as tonics for the adrenals